World destruction comes in small shrink-wrapped packages...

2009/10/14

Dan Marshall: Game Journos Should Make Games Themselves for a Change

Someone's bitter because game journo's ripped in to one of this games. Dan Marshall of Zombie Cow, in an interview with Gamasutra recently stated: "I think all games journos should be forced to make a game somehow, see how they get on. It gives you a more rounded perspective."

Now he does have a point, but you know what I think? I think it's fanboys who should be forced to make a video game themselves. See how they get on. They often bitch all the time about games, and they even rip into the video game journos. I mean, I may be but a humble (pfft) blogger, and not one of these corporately owned news websites, but I think that game journos take out their bitterness on games, and for a reason.

This is how it goes: fanboys hate on games, hate on game reviews, hate on game articles, and so the game journos rip into the fanboys favourite game to hit them where it hurts. And unfortunately the developers suffer from this too, and not just the fanboys, and so they blame the journos. If you ever go on to Destructoid, you should check it out. There are often articles, I think by Jim Sterling, where he makes plain his loathing for the terrible creatures.

I tried to make video games once. I fooled around with different small game creation tools like AGS (Adventure Game Studio) among others. I did this while I studied a programming course at college, but after a year of doing this I thought, no, I don't think this is for me. And since then I've focused more on my writing efforts.

I like playing games, and I like writing about them, among other subjects, but making them- that is hard.

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve found this post helpful or humorous, why don't you bookmark it right now? You can do this by using the ‘share it’ or the ‘addthis’ buttons. Please feel free to share this article with others.

You may also leave a comment as well.

Bookmarking and commenting only takes a little time, and you can also consider subscribing to my RSS feed for more!

Thanks.

What does AAA stand for?

It's not an abbreviation of anything. It just means the best of the best... 

"Well, now you know the truth: Apocalypso's Atomic Arcade!"

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
by : BTF

Label Cloud