World destruction comes in small shrink-wrapped packages...

2009/03/18

Powerless

Today we were without power right from 8 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon. Some vans from Eskom came to trim the trees because apparently they were getting in the way of the power lines. In the end the guy in charge said that our trees weren't so bad after all, but they still proceeded to do the rest of the neighbourhood and not to mention, took some rather long tea breaks as well. I had to cope without power for hours. 

I had a plan though. I stayed up late last night to work on my blog a little, check my accounts, and do some other stuff online. So I went to bed at about 4 am and slept until 11. I went back to bed in the afternoon, all in an attempt to waste time until the power came back on, hoping that it would do so by the evening otherwise I would be pissed. The whole episode reminds me of the power cuts we had in the past few years and right in the bloody middle of winter too.

Eskom still hasn't sorted out the whole power crisis thing, and some areas still have scheduled outages to this day. And thanks to them, I also have to put up with the irritating little messages at the bottom of the screen when I watch TV that tell me to use power sparingly, with that picture with a needle and a power gauge with green, yellow, and red sectors. It's all so reminiscent of the scare tactics the Bush administration used with the terror alert system. 

It just goes to show how much we rely on technology like television, computers, the internet and the like. Today I actually became so desperate that I started typing out things on my Nokia E90, including this post.
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve found this post helpful or humorous, why don't you bookmark it right now? You can do this by using the ‘share it’ or the ‘addthis’ buttons. Please feel free to share this article with others.

You may also leave a comment as well.

Bookmarking and commenting only takes a little time, and you can also consider subscribing to my RSS feed for more!

Thanks.

What does AAA stand for?

It's not an abbreviation of anything. It just means the best of the best... 

"Well, now you know the truth: Apocalypso's Atomic Arcade!"

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
by : BTF

Label Cloud